2017 Excellence in Masonry Competition
Thursday, May 18th 2017
Monona Terrace - Madison, WI
7:30 - 9:15am
7:45 - 8:45am Designing Adhered Masonry Veneer, Presentation by Steven Fechino and Jim Lucas
9:10 - 9:15am Closing/Door Prize
In Conjunction with the AIA Wisconsin Convention
The Wisconsin Masonry Alliance (WMA) is dedicated to the promotion and advancement of masonry construction through the dissemination of technology, practice, products, and design. A highlight of our promotional efforts is the Excellence in Masonry Awards presented in recognition of masonry projects exemplifying great design, inspiring material usage, and quality construction. Showcase your masonry masterpiece by entering today. There is no cost to enter.
Any individual involved in the design, supply or construction of a masonry building may participate and enter a project. Entries must adhere to the following:
2. The project must be constructed in Wisconsin utilizing masonry products produced or supplied by a Wisconsin Masonry Alliance member.
3. The project’s occupancy date must be no longer than five years from the date of submission.
4. Any project that has previously won a WMA award may not be re-entered.
All entries will be judged based upon the following:
2. Visual impact and acceptance – impression, relationship to site, pedestrian connection.
3. Inspiring material usage – details, features, or solutional elements.
4. Masonry utilization – the material’s relationship in establishing the character and fulfilling the function of the structure.
Winning projects will be exhibited and awards will be presented at the 29th Annual Excellence in Masonry Breakfast at the 2015 AIA-Wisconsin Convention for the following commercial, residential, and public categories.
Awards will be given in the following categories:
2. Best of Clay Masonry – Deemed best project utilizing clay masonry.
3. Merit in Clay Award – Exemplary project utilizing clay masonry.
4. Best of Concrete Masonry – Deemed best project utilizing concrete masonry.
5. Merit in Concrete Masonry– Exemplary project utilizing concrete masonry.
6. Best of Natural Stone Masonry– Deemed best project utilizing natural stone masonry.
7. Merit in Natural Stone Masonry– Exemplary project utilizing natural stone masonry.
8. Best Special Project – Masonry project purposed for energy & environmental preservation or exemplary masonry utilization in a restoration showing before and after.
Each entry must include:
2. A minimum (5) and maximum (10) digital images of project. Two versions of each image: 300 dpi (minimum 4x6 inches) and 72 dpi. Upload images online (or via CD-ROM if mailed) and adhere to the following requirements : 300 dpi (minimum 4x6 inches) and 72 dpi.
3. A minimum 250-word description of the project explaining the utilization of masonry.
4. Minimum (2) maximum (4); PDF images of drawing plan, elevation, or section. (2) of the (10) photos must be detail views (full or partial) showing masonry components, structure, interfaces, etc.
5. No entry fee is required.